Pages

Friday 9 April 2010

Ode to Ebenezer Akwasi Acheampong






In Memory of a Beloved Uncle

I

Wofa Acheampong was.
Affectionately and resides
now in our hearts.
The old adage goes:
One appreciates not what one has;
until one has not.
But I knew.
Always
You were precious to me.
I cherished you a lot.
I loved you a lot.
Even so
The extent I knew not.
But
These spasms of pain,
suffocating pangs,
heart-piercing pain;
the entrenched sadness
besieging my soul.
The gripping sensation of loss.
All
Manifesting in spontaneous tears,
copious outpouring of my emotion.
Clueing me about your space in my heart!

II

Your selflessness I treasured.
Your sense of commitment I admired.
Your passion for excellence I cherished.
Your fine mind I esteemed.
Your Legacy!
That sharp mind!
Transcending vicissitudes of life,
endeared you to insightful ones.
Mourning your exit, puzzled.
Inevitable or avertable?


III
Alas!
Agyeiwaa swayed not nature’s tide.
So
Seimaa wails.
Nana Ama moans .
Maame Afua grieves.
The baby leaving before the aged?
A page for Nana Grace you started.
A very worrying one, Wofa!

IV

Uncle and Father to some.
To others a Sibling.
To several a Son and Friend.

V

In shared grief,
we say
DA YIE.
ACHIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment