Pages

Friday 16 July 2010

DANGER! CHILDREN, PARENTS

Twice during the second week of  July 2009, I was stopped on the road by two girls, between six and eight years, who asked me for money. The first wanted money to buy water; the second asked for “two thousand” (GH 20 pesewas). The second girl was walking with another female child. In both instances, I refused the requests mainly because I do not subscribe to such behaviour and granting their requests would have bee encouraging them.

However, I have since been very worried about these girls because of the danger in which they put themselves every time they solicit strangers for money. I asked myself a few questions: What if I had been a paedophile, a kidnapper or a ritual murderer? Would I have been able to lure the girls into my room, a kiosk, an uncompleted building or a waiting vehicle, under the pretext of giving them the money, so I could execute my wicked plans? I probably would. What would these children do for money? Probably a lot. My own answers did not ease my apprehensions because those were not shy girls. Both looked me straight in the eye as they spoke and I could not help but get the feeling that they had had practice. Whether they are staying with parents or guardians, what have these girls been told about talking to strangers let alone begging them for money? What do those two girls know about identifying and warding off child abusers? Does anyone even care about what happens to those two girls? I do.

“Charity”, they say, “begins at home”. Those children may be imitating their adult role models or it might be that they had genuine reasons for begging. Whatever the reason, adults raising children have a huge responsibility regarding protection. Children cannot afford to be too trusting these days. Adults are no longer the nexus of safety for children in our communities. The harm caused by an abuser could be permanent or even fatal, children must be told that. No amount of food or money is worth being traumatized for life, as is often the case with child abuse or molestation. Both girls and boys are at risk. Parents, live up to your responsibilities; the best protection you can give your children is to train them to detect danger and take the necessary precautions! It is possible to outwit child abusers but it takes systematic training, love and commitment from parents to raise smart children who can thwart the efforts of adults who are a menace to children. For starters, I have a friendly advice for my young friends out there.

Any child who begs strangers for money signs a warrant for her/his own molestation, kidnapping/death. In other words, such behaviour gives paedophiles, kidnappers and all child abusers a field day!

No comments:

Post a Comment