Pages

Thursday 31 March 2011

Satisfied with Mediocrity


I am not a football fan so I did not watch the match between Ghana and England. Consequently, I missed Asamoah-Gyan’s equalizer, but judging from the comments on BBC news the following morning, I missed a thriller. My loss. Yet that same news bulletin was also an eye-opener: Ghanaians are satisfied with mediocrity! I learnt that embarrassing fact from comments offered by jubilating fans interviewed by the BBC correspondent in Accra.
Apparently, the fans interviewed did not know the difference between a draw and a win. After extolling Asamoah-Gyan’s effort, the first fan ended thus: …and Ghana won”. The reporter immediately contradicted: “Ghana did not win the game”. The fan insisted: “It was an away win, away goal for Ghana”.  The second fan was equally excited: “it was an icing on the cake”, to which the reporter immediately countered: “There was no cake. Ghana was losing”. When the newsreader said, “someone will have to explain this away win for me”, I groaned from embarrassment but echoed his sentiments. Did Ghana win or draw? Someone who watched should please tell me. When a Cameroonian sent a text that Ghanaians “should not be complaisant but prepare for a win”, I silently applauded him. Here was an African who knew the difference.
I have been baffled whenever the Black Stars have been hailed as national heroes in the last two World Cup Tournaments. Even though, they always made it to the quarter finals only in both cases, in Ghana they were the world champions. Much as I laud appreciation, I believe that people should be encouraged to reach for their highest potentials. Offer praise but prod gently for improvement. That is why after both World Cup Tournaments, I asked myself how the Black Stars could ever aspire for the World Cup when Ghanaians are already satisfied with quarter final status. After listening to the dialogues above. I answered my own question, For Ghanaians, a drawn game is a win just as finishing at quarter final is equivalent to attaining the World Cup. And the pathetic reason is this: Instead of striving for and rewarding excellence, Ghanaians are satisfied with mediocrity. No wonder the nation moves backwards instead of forward. Poor Mother Ghana!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment